Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Paper Receipts

I find it revolting that I still get these when I buy things like milk. What a waste of paper (and my time)! The default for minor purchases should be no receipt (although you can always ask for one), and the default for bigger purchases that you might actually want to return should be electronic receipts (electronic receipts should be available for all purchases though). These could be e-mailed to each person automatically with an e-mail address that is linked to the person's debit/credit card. If you pay cash, you might have to tell the cashier your e-mail address, but that's still better than having a paper receipt.

If you make a purchase at the Apple Store, they already do this and it's wonderful. How can this not be more widespread? It cuts costs and makes everyone's life easier. In fact, just this past weekend I had to go back to my apartment to get a receipt in order to return something, instead of just being able to show the receipt to someone on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment