Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Am I the Only One?

A two-part post:

1. Did anyone else ever read The Dark is Rising series? I absolutely loved these books as a kid and I will now probably buy the entire series for just $16 on amazon.com. Will the wonders of the internet ever cease? But seriously, these books were highly entertaining when I first read them and based on what I have read about them now, I imagine that they will hold up fairly well.

2. Most people who know me know that I love to finish other people's dinners. Now I would never do this until someone else is COMPLETELY done eating. Anything else would be rude, but once this situation has occurred, I usually politely ask my friend if I can finish his/her food and my friend says, "Sure." A similar, but slightly different situation took place tonight. The people at the table next to us ordered a huge sushi and sashimi platter. After finishing roughly 1/3 of their meal, eating by taking fish off the platter and putting it onto their plates, they paid the bill, got up, and left. I noticed this of course while I was waiting for my own main course. Sitting just out of my reach was the center cut of a beautiful platter. There were perfectly manicured pieces of both tuna and salmon. They looked absolutely delicious. The question is: should I have made a move and eaten these untouched pieces? I really wanted to, but I was too far away, Dan was in my way, and my entire window was probably 4 minutes, so I didn't have the guts to pull it off. Did the food get wasted (this would make me sick)? Or did the kitchen staff get to eat it (this would make me feel better)? Thoughts? Comments?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a tough situation since, unfortunately, they were not your friends. Alternative speculation: I think the kitchen staff probably placed the remaining "perfectly manicured" sushi in the fridge, and then served it to the next customer who ordered that meal, replacing whatever the "1/3ers" actually did consume. I don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

    Also, I would like to confirm the fact that Rich does finish his friends' plates. I have, on many occasion, asked Rich if he would like to finish mine, at which point he happily did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rich, I´m in Seville right now with Tom and Noah, I´m really glad you told me to start reading your blog again, great stuff.

    As per point one, I, and Tom, read The Dark is Rising in 7th grade, and I recently purchased the whole series on Amazon as well. I have yet to read any others, but I also thought it was a great bargain!

    ReplyDelete