Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Little Miss Sunshine

As the drama and comedy built up to the climactic dance scene in Little Miss Sunshine, my mind couldn't help but wander over to another independent film with a supposedly lovable loser getting up on stage to dance. I was thinking of course about Napoleon Dynamite. You can see my comments about that film here (suffice it to say that I hated it).

The difference here was that this movie had a plot and characters that were actually engaging and funny. And the dance scene turned out to be way funnier. In addition, it actually felt like the culmination of something. It was a true climax and a release for the entire Hoover family that managed to bring them closer together. It was further evidence that Little Miss Sunshine was a movie, whereas Napoleon Dynamite was just a bunch of scenes put together. I highly recommend that all my readers see Little Miss Sunshine.

On a side note, I think that the son (Dwayne) looked a little like my friend Kai. Anyone else think so?

No comments:

Post a Comment