Saturday, November 18, 2006

Banya baby!

I visited the Russian baths in the East Village last night and I loved it. Think of the hottest place that you have ever been. Now double the heat. That might give you an idea of how hot it is in a banya. Just as an example, after spending some time in the banya, stepping into the regular 180 degree sauna felt like being outside at Christmas. The best feeling that you can get in the banya is when you dump a bucket of ice-cold water on your head and the combination of shock and relief is remarkable. Then, after spending some more time in the banya, take a dip in the ice-cold pool. Trust me, it's exhilarating.

I may sound like a maniac, and the experience was extremely intense, but by the time I left, I could not have felt more relaxed. The Russians have been doing it for hundreds of years, they must be doing something right.

3 comments:

  1. No one seems self-conscious, lounging or walking in almost naked bliss, whether their body resembles Jackie Gleason or an Olympic Russian Gymnast, no one seems to care...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) http://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&lr=&q=russian+turkish+baths&near=Miami+Beach,+FL&radius=0.0&latlng=25790278,-80130278,16705462283000127961&sa=X&oi=local&ct=authority

    2) I've been going to this location since 1999.

    3) -

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds gross rich

    ReplyDelete