Friday, September 22, 2006

Just another day at the office

I look at the phone and see a number that I don't recognize with a 305 area code. Tom has the same area code in Florida.

"Hello, Richard Berger, NFL."
"Hi Richard, I just had a question. Can a team get penalized if its fans make too much noise?"
"Um, I don't think so. I think that the fans can be warned maybe, but I don't think it ever turns into a penalty."
"Really? Cause I thought it could happen in places like Seattle. You know what I mean? Anyway, I just had a bet on this. A couple hundo. No big deal."
"Yeah, who is this exactly?"
"Oh, it's Peter."
(Peter can't see the confused expression on my face)
"Ok..."
"Yeah, well I'll just call you back on Monday and we'll settle things. Thanks, talk to you later."
(Click)

As it turns out, the NFL rulebook says:

Loss of team time out(s) or five-yard penalty on the defense for excessive crowd noise.

3 comments:

  1. Inconceivable! What if the crowd is populated by more of the opposing teams members?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, as always, is a man ahead of his time. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/sports/football/24noise.html?hp&ex=1159070400&en=fa813702af79579b&ei=5094&partner=homepage

    Front page of the NYTimes!

    ReplyDelete