Sunday, April 05, 2009

Go with the Qlo

In my younger and more vulnerable years, my brother gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since. "Whenever you feel like criticizing anyone's clothes," he told me, "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had in knowing how much nicer Uniqlo is than H&M."

Now, folks, that advantage is all yours and H&M, consider yourselves On Notice!


Once upon a time I would get excited by the prospect of walking by an H&M store. I would think back to one of my favorite shirts, bought at H&M on the cheap in Paris, and wander in looking for a new great deal. More often than not, I would be disappointed. Not only would there be no good deals, there would be no good clothes. In my head, H&M was a brand that offered mostly cool, cheap clothes. In reality, it was a brand that offered mostly poorly made, high concept garbage. There were still some gems (I hear it's better for women), but on the whole, definitely not somewhere I should be stopping in on a whim. Enter Uniqlo.

My first Uniqlo experience was in their temporary Soho shop on Grand Street. This was a small space, meant to be a stopgap before the flagship opened, but with their deals on Merino sweaters, I already had a feeling that their brand was onto something. And when their flagship store opened, I knew I was right. With impossibly high ceilings and walls filled to the top with an impossibly bright array of colors, Uniqlo is undoubtedly a fun store to explore. Better yet, it's a store that actually offers good clothing at good prices. The clothes are simple, but attractive, and sturdy enough to be worn comfortably on a regular basis.

In summary, Uniqlo offers better clothes at better prices in a more organized and more attractive setting than H&M. Case closed.

1 comment:

  1. u kno, it's really about how u want to maintain ur personal brand. i steal a lot from H&M, but i've never been to uniqlo so i'm not sure how easy it is to take advantage of the five-finger discount. please include this information in ur next post abt hawt fashunnz.

    ReplyDelete