Monday, December 26, 2005

The Myth of Aaron Small

I don't know how this was never discussed during last season's magical 10-0 run, but Aaron Small is a 34-year-old journeyman! I assumed that he was just like any other Yankees rookie, a young guy getting his shot to inject some life into an aging rotation. In reality, he had been a mediocre minor league pitcher for 15 years! Why was this never a big story? Yankees fans I have talked to assumed that Small would be a solid part of the rotation for years to come. I even thought he might be solid for a few years. Now that I know the truth, I can say confidently that I highly doubt that Small will last all of next season in the rotation. By looking at his long minor league history, and his penchant for not striking people out, it is pretty clear that he was very lucky last season.

1 comment:

  1. My employer (who used to watch Jumpin' Joe Dimaggio and even (gasp!) Lou Gehrig when he was a tike at the Stadium) informed me of this over the summer. He also recently has been rubbing the apostacy of Damon in my face, but I say who gives a f***, Damon is garbage after July... Well, except for that Grand Slam against the Yanks...

    ReplyDelete