Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Entering the virtual marketplace

On the subway today, after not making onto an overcrowded train, I struck up a conversation with a couple of guys who also missed the train and ended up talking like someone out of an infomercial.

Man #1: Yo, good thing we missed that train, right? It stinks in there.
Me: Yeah, I'd rather wait the 3 minutes for a train without a BO problem.
Man #2: They're packed in there like sardines bro. Sardines.
Man #1 (addressing me): So check this out (shows me Sprint Pocket PC...which is way more valuable than I realized it was).
Me: Whoa, that's a pretty baller phone.
Man #1: Yeah, but my brother gave it to me and I don't have Sprint so I wanna sell it. You know how I can do it? Should I go back to the Sprint store?
Me: Well I'd say you're best off selling it online.
(At this point we get on the next, much less crowded train.)
Man #2: Now this is more like it.
Me: So, Craigslist is probably your best bet, you fill out a form online, take a picture, and hopefully get some good responses.
Man #1: But what about that identity theft and stuff?
Me: The great thing about Craigslist in this case is that you will be the seller, so you just have to wait for the offers and you only have to give someone the item once he or she actually pays you. So you can't get ripped off.
Man #1: Wow, that sounds perfect, I'll hook that up as soon as I get home.
(We arrive at 77th street. I give both guys fist bumps, wish them luck, and I'm out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment