Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Fabulous Foer Boys

A nice post about the Foer family over at the soon-to-be-live-I-have-a-sneak-preview-I-think Yale Herald blog. What Alex neglects to tell you is the story about my interaction with Josh Foer in Trumbull College:

It was the Winter of Aught-Three and I was but a callow sophomore when my residential college announced the beginning of a game called Assassins. Cognizant of the fact that I was fearful of playing alone, my roommates Nicholas and Joseph decided to play with me. We had ever so much fun shooting those little plastic darts around the common rooms and great halls of Trumbull, but when the game officially began, we became deathly serious.

After three days inside our room, we ventured forth to go to the bathroom together. No, not to use the same stall, but to provide cover for each other on the way into that safest of safe zones. Alas, it was on that fateful trek that young Nicholas met his proverbial maker. The assassin? None other than United States memory champion Joshua Foer. Foer had an impish grin on his face as he snuffed out the hopes and dreams of someone who had played the game as well he possibly could have up to that point.

Nicholas understood that he had been beaten by a better man. Foer's dedication to the game became legendary as he ultimately murdered his way to victory and the victory cigars that came with it.

(Editor's Note: This is the best that I can recall of the story. The only part that I am 100% sure about is that Josh Foer killed Nick in Trumbull College Assassins one year between 2002 and 2004.)

No comments:

Post a Comment