Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Restaurants in New York

Frank Bruni has an interesting article in the New York Times today about the increasingly pompous attitude of chefs and restaurants in New York (thanks Mom). I have only been to two of the restaurants he mentions (Eleven Madison Park and Tabla), and at this point I could not imagine going to any more of them. That's not to say that the food was not fantastic at these two places, because it was. It's more the fact that upon further reflection, it just seems absurd to spend so much money on these tasting menus when there are SO many excellent New York restaurants that cost so much less. And I'm hardly Mr. Moderation. I spend way too much money going out to eat as it is. The heart of the matter is that if these chefs can get away with this bullshit, more power to them, but I'm just not going to support it (unless of course they are willing to have me in as a restaurant critic).

No comments:

Post a Comment